Wednesday 21 January 2015

How about that first hurdle?

PHASE 1

I haven't posted in the longest time! 
I'm back with lots to tell.

The last few months have been quite the roller-coaster. 
After my second interview with Evergreen I was granted a confirmed place with them at Warsash Maritime College - my first choice. 
I spent the few months up to September getting a few things together.
I had to buy a lot of stuff - bedding, cutlery..your standard first year student stuff.
I had to also get a US Visa, apply for my discharge book and get my ENG1 certificate. 
I moved in September and the first night was a social night.
Spent the afternoon moving in and meeting my neighbours as well as roommate.
Spent the evening at the Mariners Bar meeting and greeting everybody else.
The atmosphere was really chilled out and everyone was so friendly. 

We spent the first week getting introductions to different aspects of college life and structure, also had a paintballing day to 'break the ice'.
After that week we got straight into the work. 
The next three months flew by. The work was always there as well as juggling the social aspects of it all. 
I'm HND entry for deck - work structure is different depending on entry level.
I had LOTS of Maths (nothing impossible if you do as you're told), Navigation, General Shipboard Knowledge and Ship & Port Operations. 
The days are 9-5, Monday to Friday.
Our groups were quite big for this phase. We all got along well and helped each other whenever we could. 
For me it was all new and at first I found quite daunting but, with the support network from the friends I made, I quickly got into the swing of things.

Exam week..
I can't really say much about this except DO THE WORK and you will be fine.
ASK FOR HELP. DON'T SUFFER IN SILENCE. 
I have no maritime background at all. I knew nothing going into this. I haven't got A-Levels. I did it. I'm not saying it's easy but it's doable.

I have passed my phase 1. We had a couple of weeks of STCW training and that was pretty cool. I've got all my certificates for that. I'm now ready to go to sea.

BRING ON PHASE 2.
Keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment